The Santa Cruz SPCA is seeking dedicated reliable volunteers for our SPCA Mall Adoption Center and Gift Shop. This is our satellite location within the Capitola Mall that not only offers animals for adoption but also a variety of SPCA branded items, jewelry, local art, and pet supplies for sale. This high traffic retail setting gives us a wonderful opportunity to interact and educate our community about who we are and what we do!
We’d love to have you on the Mall Volunteer team! Please read about the opportunities and procedures below:
Volunteer Positions Available
Animal Transportation- Help the animals get to and fro. Volunteer transporters are needed to bring animals to the Mall location in the morning (1 hour before opening) and bring animals back to the shelter in the evening (1 hour before closing). Crates are provided. Volunteers may choose to provide transport for either AM only, PM only, or both. Proof of valid Driver’s License, Auto Insurance, and signed Driver Waiver required.
Animal Care and Adoptions Assistance- Keep ’em comfy and find them homes! Volunteers at the adoption center will have a variety of opportunities to love on and care for our adoptable pets as well assist in their adoptions! These are a few examples of what Mall volunteers can do to help out:
- Prepare animal enclosures in the morning with bedding, food, water, toys, and litter boxes, etc.
- Clean and sanitize all animal enclosures in the evening and remove bedding, food, water, and toys.
- Ensure that all animals throughout the day are consistently clean and always have fresh water. This may involve cleaning out puppy pens and adult dog play pens, scooping cat litter, changing water, etc (not only does this make the animals happier and healthier, it also makes them more adoptable!)
- Take dogs on walks and potty breaks.
- Answer basic questions about the animals’ behavior, health and history (information/training will be provided)
- Greet the public as they enter the adoption center and assist them in finding a match if they are looking for a specific size, breed, age and type of animal, or referring them to an employee if needed.
- Take photos of newly adopted pets and their families.
- Assist in dog-to-dog meetings between adoptable dogs and dogs currently living in potential adopters home.
Retail and Sales- Merchandising and sales experience welcome! While we’ve always got adorable animals, the store also has an impressive array of retail items that range from branded merchandise to pet toys and supplies. Our volunteers help organize and create displays, calculate inventory, work the cash register, and most importantly, help shoppers find what they want and need.
How to Become a Mall Volunteer
Orientations are usually held the first MONDAY of every month and the first Saturday of every month but check our registration page to confirm dates
This is a general orientation where you will learn more about the organization as a whole and the volunteer opportunities available. Mention that you are interested in becoming a mall volunteer and you will be contacted by a member of the Mall Store staff to schedule a second orientation/training at the SPCA Mall Adoption Center and Gift Shop. *Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
Mall Store Hours Are: Wed-Fri 11am-5:30pm and Sat-Sun 11am-4:30pm
- * We ask that all volunteers interested in helping out at the store decide on a schedule that works for them and do their best to be as reliable as possible.
- * Hours volunteered at the store may be used for school related community service/credit, however, court-ordered community service can be performed at the main shelter only.
We look forward to working with you! If you have any questions, please contact Info@spcasc.org or call 831-465-5000